Friday, January 16, 2009
Consider the words "in a corner". It makes sense, but not complete sense. Such a group of words, which makes sense, but not complete sense, is called a Phrase.
Examples of Phrase:-
1. The sun rises in the east.
2. Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall.
3. Show me how to do it.
Consider the following sentences.
1. He has a chain of gold.
2. He has a chain which is made of gold.
The first sentence has a Phrase.
The second sentence contains a Subject (which) and a Predicate (is made of gold).
Such a group of words which forms part of a sentence, and contains a Subject and a Predicate, is called a Clause.
Examples of Clause:-
1. People who pay their debts are trusted.
2. We cannot start while it is raining.
3. I think that you have made a mistake.