It will be the first time Woods has missed the U.S. Open since 1994, when he had just graduated high school.
"I am extremely disappointed that I won't be playing in the U.S. Open, but it's time for me to listen to my doctors and focus on the future," Woods said on his website. "I was hopeful that I could play, but if I did, I risk further damage to my left leg. My knee and Achilles tendon are not fully healed."
Woods said he hoped to be ready for the AT&T National, which starts June 30 at Aronomink, and the next two majors. Then again, he said two weeks ago he would do everything possible to be ready for the U.S. Open, which is far more significant.
"We're very disappointed that he won't be playing in the National Open," USGA executive director Mike Davis said, whom Woods called Tuesday morning. "He certainly brings excitement to the event. He'll be missed, but the U.S. Open will go on. The event is bigger than one player, but he certainly will be missed."
The U.S. Open starts June 16 at Congressional, where Woods won the AT&T National two years ago and tied for 19th when the U.S. Open was last played there in 1997.
He hasn't won since the 2009 Australian Masters, a stretch of 22 tournaments. He not only lost his No. 1 ranking late last year, he has plunged to No. 15 in the world, his lowest spot in the ranking since the spring of 1997.
Woods announced his decision on Twitter: "Not playing in US Open. Very disappointed. Short-term frustration for long-term gain."
The Masters is now the only major Woods has played every year since turning pro. He was recovering from knee surgery in 2008 and did not play the British Open and PGA Championship.
For More News Visit